Sergio Romero Senator17 de enero de 2012
Current Term of Service 2002-2010
Current Political Affiliation National Renewal Party
Date of Birth:
He was born on the 8th of December of 1938.
Married with Bernardita Guzman Valdes. They have 5 children.
Graduated in 1964 as an Attorney from the Law School of the Universidad Catolica de Chile.
He was born on the 8th of December, 1938 in Santiago, Chile, the son of Bernardo Romero and Maria Luisa Pizarro. He is married to Bernardita Guzman Valdes. They have five children: Juan Jose, Luis Felipe, Sergio Andres, Diego and Bernardita.
After completing his secondary studies at Colegio Hispanoamericano he studied law at the Catholic University of Chile, where he graduated with distinction in 1964. The title of his thesis was "Agriculture Insurance".
During his university years he held several student body offices. From 1958 to 1961 he was a member of the Catholic University Student Council and Head of the Student Association of the Law School. In 1960 he was a delegate to the Union of Chilean University Federations (UFUCH), representing the Catholic University Student Federation. From 1960 to 1961 he served as Vice President and later as President of the Law Center of the Catholic University.
He worked as a lawyer in the Legal Department of the National Society of Agriculture from 1962, becoming the head of the department in 1964. In 1965 he became a member of the Advising Commission on Agriculture for the General Board of Labor, and in 1966 he represented Chilean employers at the VII Regional Conference of the International Labor Organization (OIT). From 1968 to 1976 he was Secretary General of the National Society of Agriculture (SNA) and also held the position of Head of the Chilean Institute of Rational Business Administration (ICARE) from 1973 to 1976. In 1976 he was appointed Subsecretary of Agriculture. From 1973 to 1978 and from 1978 to 1983 he was re-elected as Head of the International Labor Organization (OIT) Commission. In 1978 he founded and became president of San Cristobal FM Radio and was elected president of the National Radio Society of Agriculture. For two terms, from 1981 to 1983 and from 1983 to 1985, he was a council member and director of the National Society of Agriculture (SNA).
While pursuing business interests, he held a variety of positions in the following years. From 1969 to 1973 he was manager of FISA, and from 1975 to 1976 he was the director of DINAC S.A., representing Corfo. From 1977 to 1983, he was director of Industrial Company (INDUS). After this, from 1983 to 1985 he assumed the position as Director of Ladeco and of the Association of Radio Broadcasters of Chile, and from 1987 to 1989 he was Vice President of the National Society of Agriculture (SNA).
Throughout his career he has held several company directorships in the areas of banking and technology, and was elected Vice President of the Confederation of Production and Commerce in 1989.
This same year he entered the political arena, running as an independent candidate for the Democracy and Progress Pact. He was elected Senator for the 5th Region Cordillera, corresponding to the 5th Senatorial District, for the period from 1990 to 1994. During this time he served on the Finance Committee, the Agriculture Committee, the Environment Committee, and the National Property Committee of the Senate.
In 1990 he joined the National Renewal Party and was re-elected as senator from the same district for the 1994 -- 2002 legislative term. From 1994 to 1998 he served on the Agriculture Committee, The Economy Committee and the Special Commission for the Development of the 5th Region.
He became Vice President of the Political Committee for the National Renewal Party in 1990. Later, from 1995 to 1996 and from 2003 to 2004 he was head of the Committee of Senators of his party.
In 1997 he was elected and served one year as President of the Senate. Beginning in 1998 he became a member of the Foreign Affairs Committee and the Agriculture Committee, serving as President of both committees, in 1998 and 1999 with the Foreign Affairs Committee and in 2000 and 2001 with the Agriculture Committee. He has also been a member of the World Interparliamentary Commission and the Corporation for the Development of Aconcagua.
In December of 2001 he was re-elected as Senator for the 2002 - 2010 legislative term for the 5th Senatorial District, representing the 5th Region of Valparaiso Cordillera. Currently he serves on the Foreign Affairs Committee and as President of the Agriculture Committee.
Founder of the Interparliamentary Forum of the Americas in the year 2000, he was elected President of the 3rd Plenary Assembly of this body held in Santiago, Chile in April of 2004.
- Agriculture Insurance / Sergio Romero Pizarro.- Santiago, Chile: 1964.- 91h. (Thesis for the licentiate degree in the Department of Juridical, Political and Social Sciences of the Catholic University of Chile).
P- rofessional Paper of the President of the Senate, Mr. Sergio Romero P., read during the Seminar, "Legal Reforms to the Walter Code: An Issue of Legislative Vision".-- Valparaiso, Chile: Senate of the Republic, 1998.
- Senator 5th Region (Aconcagua), 1990-1994/ 1994-2002/ 2002-2010
- Member of the Finance Committee, Agriculture Committee and the Environment Committee of the Senate, 1990-1994
- Vice President of the National Renewal Party (1990) and Head of the Committee of Senators of the National Renewal Party, 1990-1995-1996-2000-2001.
- Member of the Economy Committee and Agriculture Committee of the Senate, 1994 - 1998.
- Member of the Political Committee of the National Renewal Party, 1990-1995.
- Member of the Worldwide Inter-Parliamentary Commission.
- Member of the Corporation for the Development of Aconcagua.
- President of the Senate of the Republic, 1997 - 1998.
- March 2004 to March 2005, presided over the Foreign Affairs Committee.
- Current President of the Senate of the Republic 2005-2006.
- Student Director and Activist (Universidad Catolica de Chile).
- Director of Agricultural Labor Organization (Vice President, Secretary General and Director of the National Society of Agriculture).
- Vice President of the Confederation for Production and Commerce.
- Founder of the International Fair of Santiago, President of Radio Agricultura
- President and Director of companies in the areas of agriculture, computing and microfilm.
- Chilean representative to the International Labor Organization (OIE - Rural Council).
- Director of the Association of Chilean Broadcasters